My Music & Other Products

Thursday, January 4, 2018

The Disguise of Wealth

Money seems to be the answer to so many problems. If we are bored, money can buy a new toy. If we are lonely, money can put on an awesome Christmas party. But a new toy or a Christmas party won't fulfill our deeper needs.

If we're bored, what we really need is something worthwhile to pour ourselves into. Our soul is saying, "Give me something I can be proud of doing!" If we're lonely, what we really need is someone to accept us and resonate with us where we're at. Our soul is saying, "Give me someone who can connect with me and share my burdens."

MONEY has a way of disguising the truth, and providing false solutions to our issues.

I don't believe that money is evil. But the LOVE of money IS. The belief that money holds the key to our happiness, health, transformation, and fulfillment is one of the biggest lies in America.

The American Dream is a lie in and of itself. Unfortunately, our country has replaced the essence of true fulfillment with the possession of things. Home owners are considered "better off" than renters. It is more coveted to be the employer rather than the employee. Business owners are revered, while minimum wage workers are considered under-achieving, or oppressed.

I believe in equal opportunity and capitalism. However, true fulfillment and happiness means being able to make choices that make us proud to be human. When Jesus boldly announced that He had come to bring us an ABUNDANT LIFE, I'm quite sure He was not referring to the way our society operates today. God has so much more abundance in store for us than mere money can buy. A truly fulfilled person would have happy relationships, fond memories, beautiful stories to tell of how people were healed and made whole. A truly fulfilled person would look back with pride and dignity over their choices and the work they had done for the betterment of our world. But we sell ourselves short. We dedicate every last breathe, muscle, and neuron to the pursuit of accumulating positions and possessions. And the result is emptiness.

We allow ourselves to be fooled. We give into the deception of the disguise. The ideals of the culture pose as angels of light. When we are frantically late for work again, we fail to recognize that we're operating based on fear of losing money and position. We fail to notice that we're trampling on our most precious relationships in our family as we seize the car keys with a sarcastic remark and stomp out the front door. We don't see that we're snuffing out what could be moments of joy, connection, hope, and relationship.

It's time to take off the disguise that America has placed on financial wealth. I choose to begin by facing the truth each day as I prioritize. I ask myself the important questions: "Is this all about money again? Or am I focused on what really matters to me and to God?"

No comments:

Post a Comment